Wednesday, June 6, 2012

6N


Over Memorial Day weekend I packed a bag and headed to the flint hills of Kansas. Outside Council Grove was where I took off my boots of an evening and where I spent a couple blazing hot days with a camera around my neck.


A land with rolling plains and a town with a rich historical past, I knew the trip would be too short.
And it was. 
The history, the people, the plains and the open sky. Not to mention the really great cattle.
I was visiting Sankey's 6N Ranch. A family that takes great pride in their history and progress in the cattle industry, they showed me around the ranch and surrounding area as though I was a celebrity (and they let me sleep in! And they had full-bodied, black coffee ready before I was!), rather than the Nikon-crazy tourist I appeared to be. Truth be told, the only thing missing was my fanny-pack. 


This family has a story to tell, so I'll let them tell it, rather than I.

This copy is taken directly from Sankey's website. The images I captured one afternoon. 


6N Ranch was established in the early 1960's when Elliott and Helena Norquist put the ranch together by buying land around the Council Grove Federal Reservoir as it was being built. 




The Norquists developed it into a purebred cow/calf operation with over 2000 acres of Flint Hills and lakeside pastures. We leased the ranch in the fall of 1983, and started developing our own Angus program. 


Then in the early 1990's we had the chance to purchase the headquarters and part of 6N Ranch.




With the blessings of the Norquists, the ranch was able to stay Sankey's 6N.




Our family's roots in agriculture and the Angus breed run deep. 



We have had Angus cattle in our family for over a 100 years.


1955 Nebraska State Fair Champion
Angus Female
Maple Dell Farms/Laflin Ranch
Bob & Barb Laflin

We have been building our Angus herd off of intense AI'ing, producing cattle that will survive primarily on grass in the Flint Hills, but also be successful in the showring. 


We produce cattle that have eye appeal, growth, and substance. Using key AI bulls we have been able to produce an American Angus Assoc. Show Bull of the Year, Sankey's Lazer 609 of 6N, and many females that have been successful showing on a national level. 



Grand Champion Bull, 2012 Ft. Worth ROV Angus Show
Sankey's Justified 101

Owned with Foster Campbell, Louisiana

We have also been striving to produce Brangus cattle that will work not only in the pasture but also in the showring. We have raised numerous Show Bull and Show Heifers of the Year through the IBBA. Each fall we have an annual sale featuring Angus Jr. show heifer prospects, as well as, sell a few striking Brangus show heifer prospects. If you are ever in the area, please feel free to give us a call, we would love to show you around!





The story doesn't stop there - 
Stay tuned later this week for images with a story from Sankey's 6N Ranch!

2 comments:

  1. Really enjoyed this feature on the 6N Ranch - great photos! Can't wait to see what you got in store!

    ReplyDelete
  2. God love the Sankey family:)

    ReplyDelete