Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Days of Thanks II

Days of Thanks continues this week, as Thanksgiving nears and November days grow shorter! 

November 8th: I am thankful for good neighbors. Whether they save me from their crazy old goat (true story), lend me two eggs after I just returned from the grocery (true story) or call me to report that Dixie is running rampant through town dragging her chain and metal stake (true story), they're all pretty great.  

November 9th: I am thankful for a niece and nephew who are excited to be a part of Cody and I's wedding day. Well, Harrison (19 mos.) has no idea what all the hype is about, but Marlee (3) already has an orange dress laid out and three headbands that she'd like to rotate though out the day. In the words of my sister, "Marlee may be the bridezilla out of this whole deal...."

November 10th: I am thankful for the ability to watch episodes of Seinfeld decades later and find the show 15 times more entertaining than I did in '92. 

November 11th: I am thankful for the strange familiarity I find in green wood shavings and organ music. The North American International Livestock Exposition will forever bring roan memories, long laughs and headaches to mind. 

November 12th:  I am thankful for safe travels. My commute to work only last 12 minutes, but 2 times a day I pass 5 make-shift memorials for folks who didn't make it home. On August 8th I was broadsided, spun twice in to oncoming traffic and planted in a ditch. My car was totaled but the only bruise I had was from the paramedics' IV needle. I am thankful that I still have the opportunity to pass that intersection twice daily and arrive safely at home or work. 

November 13th: I am thankful for the lady at the Ivy Tech committee breakfast this morning who, after looking at my breakfast plate, told me, "Don't worry honey, donut holes have 0 calories. They are, after all, just a hole." I don't know her, but I like her. 

November 14th: I am thankful for SIRIUS channel 4, which plays traditional Christmas music nonstop from now until December 31. I won't listen to this every day (until after Thanksgiving), but there is a certain peace that comes to my heart when I hear Silent Night. Even if my silent nights are often interrupted by midnight trains. Or the neighbor kid's thumping bass. Or the occasional rooster. Sigh. 

What are you thankful for this week?

1 comment:

  1. I loved reading this! I especially remember the sound of the midnight train at your house. I woke up that morning to that sweet, small little town and thought I'd been transported to Paradise.

    ReplyDelete