Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Choices

Every single day, from the moment we wake up, each of us are presented with a series of choices. 
My first choice today: to snooze or not to snooze. 
Some are terribly routine; there are days I stand in front of my closet and rack my brain trying to find something to wear. 
Others may need to be taken more seriously, and those are the ones that have the ability to change the course of our lives. 


This is not illustrating one of those life-changing choices. 

I've thought a lot about choices lately, regarding how we assess them and spend time debating them, whether internally or with others. We can expend a lot of energy weighing things on that scale in our mind, making pros/cons lists, discussing and debating. Perhaps the heaviest component in the decision-making process is knowing what you want in the first place. 



I don't know why God puts these choices - or decisions - in our life. I think it is more than He just "testing us", but rather He giving us the opportunity to have say in even just a small part of the plan already created. You can consider that a blessing or a burden! Your choice. 

In the end, it is us that not only has to live with that choice, but we get to. We get to experience the fruits or the difficulties that follow the decision we make. In fact, had I known that Dixie would cost me hundreds in carpet cleaning supplies and Febreze, would I have saved her from that ditch? Probably. Ask me again tomorrow - it may rain today. 


Maybe you'll make the phone call, maybe you won't. 
Maybe you'll apologize, maybe you won't. 
Maybe you'll admit it, maybe you won't. 
Maybe you'll commit to starting today, maybe you won't. 
Maybe you'll seek forgiveness, maybe you won't. 
Maybe you'll drive home, maybe you won't. 
Maybe you'll take the job, maybe you won't. 
Maybe you'll take better care of yourself, maybe you won't. 
Maybe you'll ask the bank, maybe you won't. 
Maybe you'll do the right thing, maybe you won't.

What choices are weighing on your mind? Who can help you make that decision? What is standing in your way of making the right choice? What choice are you putting off? What choice are you afraid of?


While every choice may not be song worthy (artists like Jones have a knack for making everyday life a masterpiece), some can be life worthy.  




Make sure the choices you make today are reflective of exactly where you want to go, because the path you choose today will surely lead you.

“But until a person can say deeply and honestly, "I am what I am today because of the choices I made yesterday," that person cannot say, "I choose otherwise.” 
- Stephen R. Covey

1 comment: