Wednesday, March 26, 2014

When The Credits Roll

It was a once-in-a-lifetime voyage. 
I mean, unless King George pulls a Garth and decides to retire....twice?



Cody and I traveled south last weekend to watch George Strait perform his last concert in the musical motherland of Nashville. What a performance from a class act. At the conclusion of every song we looked at one another and wondered, "What could he possibly play next to top that one?"


Each song was a hit of which the crowd knew the lyrics, even with so much left off the playlist. 
I guess it's hard to pack 40 years of number ones into a two-hour show. 

It's also tough to pick a favorite Strait hit, because so many resonate with life:
Write This Down - If I don't, I'll forget it
Amarillo By Morning - Show circuit theme song
All My Exes Live In Texas - Or did at one time
Run - I actually only do this if I'm being chased
Give It Away - Please, seriously, toss all of those cups
Does Ft. Worth Ever Cross Your Mind - Yes, and it makes my head hurt just thinking of it
Ocean Front Property - My house in Greens Fork I'm trying to sell...just blocks from the Greens Fork River!
Living and Living Well - Cody. 

But there is one Strait song that hasn't hit the radio waves, and maybe one day it will.
It is the kind of song that makes you three minutes late to work so you can listen to it one more time. 
The kind of song placed on every playlist you create, because it's a lyrical reminder. 
The kind of beat that makes you put it on repeat and crank up the volume. 
The kind of lyrics that remind you why you keep mascara in your console. 
The kind of title you print off and hang in your office:

When The Credits Roll

(3 minute song)



I've played the rebel teenager, 
the mysterious stranger

The wild child on the run

I've been the college dropout, 
the commitment cop out

The comin' home prodigal son

It feels kinda like a movie

Makes me wonder what I'm gonna see



When the credits roll 
and the show is over

And I see all the parts I played

Get a glimpse of my soul up on that screen

I only hope I can say

I was a little less villain

And a little more hero

When the credits roll



Was I in it for the money, 
was I trying' to be funny

Was it all about me being right

Was I a stand up witness, 
did I offer some forgiveness

Help somebody see the light


When the curtain comes down some day

I wonder what the Critic will say

When the credits roll 
and the show is over

And I see all the parts I played

Get a glimpse of my soul up on that screen

I only hope I can say

I was a little less villain

And a little more hero

When the credits roll



I always think about the different roles I've played in my life when I hear the song.
The neighbor in Greens Fork would say I've played the unprepared gal who never had enough sugar or eggs.
My sorority sisters might say I play the one who returns texts or phone calls 3 days later. 
The gal at Dillard's knows me as the habitual returner who can't decide on bedding.
The kid at the carwash remembers me as the gal who will - without fail - ramrod over the curb like I'm in some kind of hurry and then forget to put my car in neutral. 
Gary at the hardware store would say I'm the character who never actually knows what I want or need before entering his store. Always some big idea...

And I look at this list and realize that none of it matters once the Credits Roll. 
I don't want to be remembered for little, insignificant things - do you?
I'd rather commit to doing - even small things - with great love. 


What will you see once the Credits Roll?
A little less villain, and a little more hero?
In images and impressions, how will you be remembered?
The giver or the taker?
The forgiver?
The one guided by money?
The comic who hid behind humor?
The one who stepped up?
The hero?
The committed one or the one easily swayed?
The teacher?
The "just enough"?
The heartache?
The worker?
The example, good or bad?
The friend?
Far past the days when you're present in every day life, people will forget what you said and what you did, but what they won't forget is the way you made them feel. 

How will you be remembered once the Credits Roll?

I should have reached out to my neighbor and made an extra cake for she and her husband who work long hours. 
I should drop what I'm doing and answer those phone calls when friends need me. 
My hours should not be wasted by anything as insignificant as picking out bedding. 
I should have tipped the car wash kid for waiting until the foam covered my rear windshield before laughing at me.
I need to thank Gary and his employees for answering 429 questions while smiling and thinking, "Wow, she seemed more put-together in high school..."

This Wednesday, I challenge you to join me:
Commit to living with the consideration of how the credits will roll once your show is over. 
I know I will. 
Because I'd sure like to be remembered for more than the shopper who holds up the line at Aldi's because I tried to fit 14 items into my arms rather than pay a quarter for a cart. 


1 comment:

  1. Oh how I wish that little house in Green Forks was in Texas. I'd buy it in a New York minute.

    ReplyDelete